The main difference between a session and a cookie is that session data is stored on the server, whereas cookies store data in the visitor’s browser.
|Session data is store for the browser run. After closing the browser we lose the session information||Cookie data is available in our browser. up to expiration date.|
|A session is a collection of data stored on the server and associated with a given user||A cookie is a bit of data stored by the browser and sent to the server with every request.|
|A session is a group of information on the server that is associated with the cookie information||Cookies are used to identify sessions|
|Sessions are not stored in user’s browser||Cookies are stored in user’s browser|
|Session data are not easy to modify as they are stored at server side.||Cookie data are easy to modify as they are stored at client side.|
|It is stored unlimited amount of data
|It is stored limit amount of data. It is only allowing 4kb[4096bytes]
|Example of Sessions: When we log in as a member in any website it creates sessions until we log out of the website.||Example of Cookies: If we open any e-commerce site the purchase few items then those items are stored in cookies|
- Cookies are stored in browser as text file format.
- Cookies stored limit amount of data. It is only allowing 4kb[4096bytes]
- Cookies not hold the multiple variable
- We can find the cookies values in easily. So it is less secure.
Destroy Cookies in php :
Setting the cookie time to expire the cookie when browsers are close at the time.
setcookie(name, value, expire,
path,domain, secure, httponly);
$cookie_uame = “user”;
$cookie_uvalue= “Rohit Nigam”;
//set cookies for 1 hour time
$cookie_uvalue, 3600, “/”);
Cookies are used to identify sessions
If there were no cookies then you would be sending a unique ID on every request via GET or POST. Cookies are like static id’s that stay on your computer for some time.
- Sessions value are stored in server side.
- Session are stored unlimited amount of data.
- Session are holding the multiple variable.
- Compare to cookies it is more secure.
Destroy Sessions in php:
- Using unset() function in session, then the sessions will destroyed.
- Using session_destory(), we will destroyed the sessions.
$_SESSION[‘user’] = ‘Rohit’;
//destroyed the entire sessions
//Destroyed the session
- Session data are not easy to modify as they are stored at server side.
- The main difference between a session and a cookie is that session data is stored on the server and cookies store data in the visitor’s browser.
- Sessions are more secure than cookies as it is stored in server.
- The session_start() function must be the very first thing in your document. Before any HTML tags.